Monday, March 29, 2010

Monday morning musings . . .

This morning, as I sit on my couch, Daniel sleeping beside me, the sun streams in my east window, making patterned imprints of light on the walls, the floor. A warm orange glow fills the room. Geese fly over my house, honking their morning greetings. I think of Joe when I hear geese. He talks of them as part of his better boyhood memories. He stops to listen when they fly by. He likes their trumpet calls. And because they make me think of him, I do too.
This weekend was busy, but productive. The remodel at mom's is coming along, slowly but surely. It will be very lovely when it is all done, and then we can relax and enjoy it!! The kitchen is looking like a kitchen again, and not an earthquake zone. Isaac helped us quite a bit this weekend, and Daniel did, too! He was a hard working little helper!
On Sunday, I had the opportunity to share at church about where I have been lately and where God is taking me. I talked about the lies we are told by the enemy of our souls, about who we are and who God is, and how they can take over our lives and render us lifeless and ineffective. But when we remember the truth, that God is a just king, a faithful friend, a good father, and that we are His children, whom He loves and wants good things for, then life abundant follows, and we can live lives of purpose and joy in all things, and effectively fulfill our callings. Really, I just shared my life a bit. Of course, the whole time I was thinking, "I'm not sure any of this is even making sense . . .I don't really have anything to say . . .  " but the response I got from people afterward was amazing and truly, truly humbling. So many people said that I had been able to put into words what they had been thinking and feeling, and that it touched them. I know it was the Holy Spirit talking, and not me, because I could not remember ten minutes after I talked just what I had said. He knew the marks in the hearts of the people my words needed to hit. I felt so encouraged, and very privileged and humbled to be used by God in that way . . . to help and encourage others through my experiences and my words.
After church, we had a quiet Sunday dinner. The boys did some homework, and then I took them to the tennis courts for a while so they could get ready for the tennis tournament the school has coming up this week. Josiah will not play until next year, but he helped his brother get some practice in.
This day is still young. The older boys have gone to school. Daniel sleeps on beside me. I sip coffee and think of things to be done today and throughout this week. I look forward, with hope and renewed truth and purpose and joy. And on this beautiful morning, with sun shining in and geese flying over, and my little one breathing in sleep beside me, I bless the Lord, O my soul. And with all that is within me, I bless His Holy name.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

I always love your blogs Joy. I especially like reading them to the songs you have playing. Today was Sunshine on my Shoulder which fit perfectly while Daniel lay on your shoulder.

Was Isaac playing guitar with his tennis racket? That made me smile.