Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Rain

 Picture of Country Road - Free Pictures - FreeFoto.com
 (image not my own)
Spring rain,
falling.
Gentle as tears we cry when we're happy.
White winter landscape,
a dream fading.
I walk out in it and feel mist on my skin,
cool.
I shiver, but I am not cold.
We are in the truck when it starts to really rain . . . hard.
Downpour.
I thank God.
We are safe, dry, warm, in this vehicle that carries us to the next place.
We listen to the pit-pit, pit-pit of pelting rain.
The swish-wish, swish-wish of wipers.
A symphony of rain-sounds fills the space.
A repetitive music, soft and plain, that lulls my son to sleep.
His breathing joins the symphony.
I drive on.
Black mirror pavement stretching out before me, shiny.
Tires slapping rain soaked road.
I carry things more precious than Hope diamonds.
I scarcely breathe.
Always, I drive on.

1 comment:

Kris H. said...

I absolutely LOVE Springtime rains. I am in heaven right now, knowing that I'll be able to go out and enjoy it in just a little while. Something about the rain that completely relaxes me, which is no small feat! :)

I love the images you shared here!