Friday, March 5, 2010

Fly me to the moon . . .

Today was a grace day.
One of those days like a gift from heaven.
Daniel had a fit-free day!
This is quite a remarkable event here recently.
He was so pleasant and angelic and really, just happy to be here.
Of course, it was a gorgeous day, and the sunshine was contagious! And he got to spend lots of time in his favorite favorite place . . . outdoors! Maybe that was it.
And I believe God heard the cry of my heart yesterday.
And so . . . today was a grace day, delivered on the wings of angles . . . kissed by God Himself.
And I say, Thank you God, Lord of Heaven and Earth, for hearing my plea and sending help from the sanctuary. Your grace is sufficient by an overabundance. Your love is amazing. Your mercy, undeserved, and welcome, like a starving man welcomes bread.
Grace came in so many ways today.
I am teaching writing to several elementary classes, and though it is a squeeze for my schedule, it has been so worth it! Our school kids are . . .beautiful! They have said and written so many profound, funny, touching and gorgeous things! I have been awed each time I am with them . . . by all of them.
Isaac is in one of the classes I am teaching, and in that class we are working on ideas for narratives that have the theme "The whole earth is filled with His glory" as their premise.
Currently, we are in the gathering-main-topic-ideas, and brainstorming-possible-narrative-fodder stages.
I called on kids to read what they had written so far, and was blown away by some of their ideas and beginnings. After hearing several kid's work, I called on Isaac, who was hesitant to read what he had written. He looked at me with that "Aw, mom." look. He asked quietly, "Do I have to?"
"Yes."
His was a free writing exercise.
He looked embarrassed, and then read this: (retyped exactly as he wrote it)
The earth is filled with His glory. You can see it in the sunset, for who else can paint the sky so beautifully. Who can make water form into mass bodies without sinking through the earth. Only God can. He can also form clouds, sometimes over hundreds of yards long. He allows us to live. He Himself sustains life. I see the glory of God in me and you. He created us, and allowing a people so imperfect to serve him is amazing. The mountains with sparkling snow reflecting the brightness of the sun.
When he read it, my eyes welled up with tears. I didn't even know what to say.
We talked about it later. I told him it was great.
There were so many great pieces. I do not have them with me now, but I will post some more of the kids' writings when I get a chance.
Tonight, I heard a heart-warming story from a friend of mine about Josiah, and how he took the time to hug and pay attention to a small child today. It made an impact.
Daniel was cute as ever this afternoon, picking up "leaf-es" to take home.
Tonight, I think I came to the realization that Isaac is a reader.
It's not that he knows how to read, or that he reads when he has to . . . but lately, he has a book with him wherever he goes. And we've been to the library twice this week at his request to look for books he wants to read.
Tonight, after leaving church, I went out to the truck and there sat Isaac, waiting for me, body pressed against the front windshield in a mixed up contortion so he could use the light from the parking lot to read by.
When we got home, he didn't ask to watch something, or head for his games . . . he plopped down on the couch, glasses perched on the end of his nose, and read.
At first call for bed, he asked, "Please, mom . . . can I just finish this chapter . . .?"
How could I ever say no to that?
Never!
After the chapter, he brushed teeth, etc. and climbed in bed.
I went in and kissed them goodnight, and turned out the light.
"What are you doing?" he exclaimed, startled.
"Turning out the light. It's bedtime." I answered.
"Oh, ma. Can I just finish this chapter?"
"You've been saying that all night!" I said.
"I know . . .  but I had to find out what was happening next . . . the other chapter left me hanging!"
And this isn't even the one he was really wanting to read. That one is on hold still at the library.
So, I told him to finish it and turn out the light when he was done.
And I left the room and marveled, because, even before I had kids, I wanted them to be readers.
And it is beginning.
And it makes my heart sing and do a little thump-a thump-a dance in my chest.
Yep. It was a good day.
And when we got home tonight, I got Daniel out of the car and held him out under the big, black sky with stars sprinkled all over, pinpricks of sugary light, and I said to the boys, "Look at the sky! Look at all those stars! There is Orion, the mighty  hunter. I can find him first because of his belt. And that is the bear he hunts. And that red bursting and bulging star . . . I think that is actually a planet."
We stood for a few minutes in the warmish air, looking up.
The big boys headed for the house, and I stayed with Daniel for a minute longer.
Daniel stared in silence, then let out a sigh, and said "I need to fly up there."
And I held him a little closer.
And I thought, You boys have flown me to the moon, today.

5 comments:

Patti said...

Those boys....I tell you...they are too precious.

Scott said...

To the moon, Joy! Keep filling them up with good stuff and it will all come out.

Em said...

Oh Joy, the stories of your sweet boys always warm my heart. The bit of what Isaac wrote put tears in my eyes as well. I love the stories. Love you.

Michelle said...

I was in the room when Isaac read that. It was very touching. BTW, Joy, he really didn't want to read his poetry, either. AND acted as though he really hated the assignment. He's so funny...growing up and trying to figure out what he really loves.

Shelden said...

they say the cutest things. Isaac writes so well!