Monday, January 11, 2010

Who doesn't love dough?

This one is for Patti.
I was making homemade pizza Friday night. Daniel, being the good little helper that he is, wanted to help me roll out the dough.
He couldn't resist pinching off a bit of the raw dough and tasting it.
Apparently, he likes to eat raw dough, too! (Ahem . . . that's all I'm gonna say about that.)
Poor kid. It must be in his genetic make-up somewhere.
He looks so pleased with himself, doesn't he?

He "fracks" me up!!
I sure wish I had this blog when Isaac and Josiah were little. They said crazy, funny amazing things too. I wrote a lot of those down in journals and notebooks. Maybe one day I'll do a look back and write about some of the things they said when they were small.
Here are some more gems from Daniel this weekend . . .
Friday, after school, we walked out into the parking lot and it was snowing. Daniel looked up into the sky and told me matter-of-factly, "It's snowin'. My dad is making it snow."
"Yeah?" I asked.
"Yeah. Because he says he's cold, and then it snows."
Now, that's power.

When we got home, I took his boots off and he immediately took off running and dancing around the house shouting, "My feet are free! Mommy! My feet are free!!" (He gets that from my gram.)

My friend Rachel came ove to hang out with me Friday night and brought her dog, Daniell, with her. Daniel got down on the floor with her and said, "Hi puppy!" After a minute's pause, he said to us, "Her not talking!!"
It reminded me of a time when Isaac was talking to some ants crawling on the front porch of our home at the time. He was about three, maybe a little younger. The ants were going on their merry way, and he was following them, chatting away. Finally he said, "Hey! Are you gonna answer me?" Patti and I laughed about that one for days.

Here are some crazy-two-year-old-boy thoughts that must have floated through Daniel's head . . . .who knows why.
He said this to me after standing at the door, looking out at the light snow falling.
"There's a scary wolf outside  . . . Yeah . . .She's eating all the cats. Her nice though."
 A quick count of the cats revealed that this was, in fact, not a true story.

"I'm gonna get into a costume that looks like a plane!"
"You are?"
"Yeah." Long pause as he looked around, and probably wondered just where he would get such a thing. "Maybe later."
Cool idea though.

On Saturday, my big boys went to a basketball game with their boy scout troop and their dad. They saw the Missouri State Bears. It was a reward of sorts for their participation in this year's popcorn sales. Which, by the way, thanks to anyone who purchased pop-corn from the boys and gave your support to the BSA and our sons! They had a great time at the game. Joe sacrificed sleep to spend the day with them. I so appreciate that he is that kind of dad.

Today, I am home with Josiah, who has a fever.
He came home from the game on Saturday and crashed.
It has been going around.
He feels better today. But he still has a temp, so we'll be in tomorrow too.
Joe is traveling with Gramp. They went to Omaha for a pastor's gathering this morning, and will be home tomorrow evening. I miss him already.
Happily, the cold has lifted it's blue grip a little, and instead of being utterly frigid, it is just cold today. We are all snuggled in, enjoying the sick day . . . as much as you can enjoy a sick day. The little guys are missing their big brother, but he will be home soon.
On the agenda is afternoon? Books, books and more books.

4 comments:

Em said...

Joy, I love the stories of your hysterical sons! I remember hearing that one of Isaac when he was younger with the ants, and it was nice to have a chuckle about it again. Daniel is SUCH a riot and I love hanging out with you guys so I can see his antics first-hand. I don't know when next I will be in town, but I will let you know if a plan to visit gets formed. Love you and miss you!

Sarah said...

Daniel is such a hoot! Can't wait to be there in person to take it all in first hand:) We're beginning the packing and sorting phase for our return home! Can't believe how quickly the time has flown! Love ya!

Patti said...

I think he only doughs about the dough eating because he has seen someone do it too many times.

Something Ethan said the other night that reminded me of Isaac: "There's something wrong with my foot. It has too many energies in it."

His foot was asleep. I immediately thought of "my hands are busy".

Patti said...

Oh...and you 'frack' me up.