Monday, January 4, 2010

Christmas, in retrospect . . .

 Several things about this Christmas must be said right off the bat, before I go into any other details or off on any rabbit trails:

1. My best Christmas present ever was given to me by my wonderful mom, and as a result of countless hours of work by my amazing husband. They turned my BLOG into a BOOK!!! My mom and my husband had my blog published! Complete with pictures! It is amazing. Nearly two whole years of daily doings, memorable moments and recorded ramblings are now saved in a hardcover book that hopefully will become a family keepsake that will take the boys back to their childhood days from their mom’s perspective. I was grinning and giggling so much, I couldn’t even cry! Now, I’m no Pioneer Woman, and my book will not cause me to tour the country for book signings and speaking engagements. It most likely will not be sold on the QVC network, and I will fall over dead if Bonnie Hunt calls to invite me on her show. But that is okay. That is not why I write, anyway. My book is so very special to me. And to my family. And I feel like I have accomplished so much by writing about our lives. By recording the big and little details of our days. The struggles and triumphs. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. Each post tells a bit of our story. Reveals a little more of who we are, and who we are becoming. Where we have been and where we are hoping to go. As I read through the book, looking at the pictures and remembering again things that I had forgotten, I could see the changes in my boys over these two short years. I laughed at things they have said and done. I cried when I read about Dad and Gram and the boy’s birthday stories and the kind of man my Grandpa is. Writer Zora Neale Hurston once said, “There is no agony like bearing an untold story inside you.” Which is why I write. Why I tell our story here. Thank you mom. Thank you Joe. You made the story of our lives a tangible thing. Something my sons will be able to hold in their hands years and years from now. Something that will fly them back through time to days they may have forgotten. Something that will make them remember. Something they can read to their own children, and their grandchildren. Stories of their legacy. The stories inside of me, out there. Stories about them. About us. What better gift in this world is there than that?



 2. Speaking of the Pioneer Woman, I got her cookbook as a gift this year, too. And she makes me want to cook and eat all kinds of delicious things that will live on my thighs forever!!




    3. The boys had a wonderful Christmas! They were all so excited, but they sat through dinner and dessert (best cookies ever!) and through Advent and the reading of the Christmas story quite well,     waiting to be able to tear into their gifts. But even then, they opened everything so nicely and looked at what they got before moving on to the next thing. They didn’t get gobs of gifts, which is great! But what they did get, they were really excited about. Just another indication that my boys are growing up.  They got Nintendo DSs from their MeMe. That was a big surprise. They have been asking for years, and we kept putting it off. I think they are ready to handle them now, though. It was sort of a trade off, since I did not get the other thing they have been wanting for years . . . a Red Rider Bee Bee Gun. No lie. Don’t they know . . . they’ll shoot their eyes out!?! One of my favorite things this year? Watching Daniel. It was so amazing to watch him. He is old enough to know what is going on, and he was so excited and so funny and so good about everything. He would open a gift and say, “What is it? What is it?” in a high pitched voice. And later, when Patty was helping him put some of his toys together, he plopped down next to her and asked, “What’s next, Pad? What’s next?” Everything was cause for excitement for him. The fire in Gramps fireplace, the presents under the tree, the Christmas lights winking and blinking from houses lining the cold wintry streets, the steaming platters and bowls of food and endless platters of cookies (although his favorite is pumpkin pie, just like his Dad!), the songs, the Christmas movies. He loved all of it. And he was so patient about the presents. It was truly a joy to watch him, and Isaac and Josiah, too. As an adult, though I love this season, there is always something . . . different . . . missing that used to be there when I was a little girl. Having young children and watching them light up at all the wonder of the Christmas season gives a little of that magical feeling back. There is nothing like watching your children enjoy Christmas. It really is an amazing gift, and they have no idea they are giving it to you. Our Christmas tradition is to have a big meal together at Grandpa’s with the family on Christmas eve, read the Christmas story from the Bible, sing some carols, pray together and open gifts. Then, Joe and the boys and I go home, late in the night. We wake up early the next morning, and open our family gifts. Then, we eat breakfast (which we skipped this year) and get ready to go to Mom’s or Gramp’s for another big meal, and stocking gifts and general merriment!! It really is fun.
    Sorting gifts . . .



      Danny’s turn . . .

      The big boys opening their two big gifts . . .

      Christmas morning . . .

      Daniel’s big gift was given to him Christmas Day at Grandpa’s. It’s . . . it’s . . . a . . . a . . . TRACTOR!! Farmer Danny loved it!!

      1. The food was amazing!! Christmas eve’s menu was Chicken Parmesan, pasta vodka, fried shrimp and shrimp cocktail. Delish!! And Christmas day we had ravioli and braciole!! Major yuuuuummmmmm!

      1. And all of this happened to a background of SNOW!! A white Christmas!! It really topped this Christmas off for me. It was so beautiful, and we could see it coming down out Gramp’s front window, behind the beautiful tree. It made me sigh several times as I looked out at it’s silent beauty, swirling white, lovely and cold, laying a blanket over all our world, making magic outside our window as we watched from in front of the fire, and felt the joy rising inside us.



      Really, these are just sparse sketches of this Christmas. There are no words to make incarnate the true loveliness of it, the true feelings and sights and sounds. Words are merely carriers and conveyers of realities. And sometimes, words cannot capture the essence of a reality completely enough. But the sharpness of color, the pungency of scent, the swell of the heart, the sounds of laughter and excitement and thanksgiving that rose from the house that night, those will only live in the memory of us who were there to witness it.
      Last night, Joe was laying on the couch, and said, “This was a great Christmas. Really. One of the best we ever had. Don’t you think?”
      Yes. That is exactly what I think.
      I hope you and your family had a blessed, peaceful Christmas full of good times and great memories! And, in this new year, I hope you find new things about God and yourself and your friends and family that surprise you and overwhelm you with blessings, love and hope for the days to come. God bless.


      6 comments:

      Patti said...

      "What is it, Danny? What did you get?"
      "I don't know. I can't see it yet."

      That kid is too funny.

      Michelle said...

      The last two pictures are priceless! You guys could do an Old Navy ad! ;)

      Michelle said...

      Oh, and I knew about the book: I am SO excited for you! I told Joe you COULD probably sell those! We all LOVE reading your writings!

      Kris H. said...

      That has to be one of the best gifts EVER! What a great idea!

      There is nothing like being able to spend Christmas with the whole family. It was a long trip, but it was well worth it to spend the holiday with Patty, Tony, and the kids.

      I know what you mean about seeing Christmas through the kids' eyes. I didn't open a single gift for a while into their tearing-through-presents session, and I was having the best time just watching them enjoy it all. (and snapping photos and taking video, of course!)

      Must be getting old. I didn't care if I didn't get a thing. Just being there with them was gift enough!

      OK, enough mush. Love the part about Danny plopping next to Patti and saying, "What's next, Pad?" That's classic stuff right there!

      Sarah said...

      Sounds like good times were had by all:) I am so glad they turned your blog into a book, I'd love to look at it in person (which isn't too far off now!). Love you guys!

      Shelden said...

      Daniel is such a cute kid. gotta love him....