Wednesday, January 6, 2010

So cute, I could just eat him up!


So, Daniel is talking up a storm these days, saying some of the most adorable things ever, and I think to myself, "what's to keep me from trying to freeze him at this age forever?!"
And then I remember the diapers and potty training and occasional fits and no-nap crankiness and . . . I tell myself, "yeah, let's just keep going forward."
But I sure do want to remember these days, when he looks into my face with such pure sincerity and lack of guile, and says the most amazing and funny things.
Here are some examples:
Two weeks ago, while I was baking in Gramp's kitchen, Daniel got up on a chair and spotted a rubber band. He picked it up and studied it for a moment, pulling at it and mushing it into a ball. Finally he said, "What is this?" (You have to know his little voice, because it is how he says these things that make them that much cutter!!)
"It's a rubber band" I said.
There was a long pause as he stared at it in his palm. Finally, "Why? Because it plays music??"
I laughed, and thought it was pretty clever for a two year old to put that together. I explained, but I think it lost its lustre when he discovered that was no music in a rubber band.
The other night, I was taking down the Christmas decorations when Daniel walked into the room. As soon as he saw me he shouted out " Mom!! What are you doing?" in a horrified voice.
"I'm taking down the decorations sweetie. Christmas is over."
He immediately slapped his hand to his forehead and wailed, "Oh, no! Mom! Christmas is not over! This is Christmas eve! Mom!! Don't do it."
I explained that Christmas was indeed over for this year, but the great thing about it is, there will be another Christmas next year, and we will get to do it all over again then. That calmed him down a bit, but I thought it was pretty funny, and wanted to share his angst with my cousin, Patti.
We called her and I let Daneil get on the phone to tell her his tale of woe. "Pad! I'm set up! I'm set up!! Christmas is over!" What he was trying to tell her was that he was "up-set" about it all.
As soon as he hung up, he said, "I forgot to tell her 'oh my gosh', mom. I need to call her back. So, we called her back, and he said his "oh my goshes" and was satisfied.
Yesterday, I sneezed. Daniel, without hesitation, said a very polite "God bless you, mom." Then he looked at me closely and asked, "what did you just do?"
"I sneezed." I said.
"You had a sneeze in your nose?"
"Yes."
"It fell out?", he wanted to know all about it.
I laughed.
"I guess you could say that."
It made me remember when Josiah would sneeze and say, "Mom, I blessed."
Kids are precious.
They certainly know how to make you smile. WIthout meaning to. Which makes it all the more charming.
And they actually do say the darndest things.

8 comments:

Em said...

LOVE those stories! What a nut! This age is SO MUCH fun. We are always cracking up about Donovan's nuttiness. Even as I am commenting, Donovan has FINALLY figured out how to climb into his highchair by himself and is QUITE pleased with himself and his new trick. :) Love you and miss you!

Shelden said...

you could play music with a rubber band if you pluck it I guess?

Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott said...

Let's try this one more time.

Rubberband Man

Patti said...

He was cracking me up this afternoon, too. He was playing with Josiah during recess and I went in to say hi to him and he told me that the dinosaur on this shirt was "eatin' this word"...because it said 'ROAR!', you know.

He's a hoot.

Joy N. said...

WoW Scott! That was amazing. And I think you and the other elders should sport some of those funky get-ups one Sunday, and do those groovin' moves. And I really think we need to get some ginormous rubber-bands and get down to havin' church!! That was amazing! Really, though. I think the huge rubber-band thing could be something. . .

Michelle said...

Oh, my gosh, this kid is too cute! LOVE to hear these stories! And, Scott, that video...oh my! Wow.

Kerri said...

Hearing you tell the story of Daniel asking about the rubber band is hilarious. It was funny reading it but there's nothing quite like being there or hearing the story. He's too clever that little Danny Will.