Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ahhh, aspirations . . .


Daniel got a hold of a Lego Bionicle catalog yesterday, and was looking at all the crazy alien creatures you can make with these particular sets.
All of a sudden, he ran excitedly into the kitchen and announced to my mom and David and I, "I'm gonna be a big man! I'm gonna be a Lego!! I'm gonna get a big truck and go in it on my own!!" He was waving the little catalog around, and pointing to these machine-like beings with all their accessories, wild wishes flashing in his eyes, and no thought of the impossibility of this crossing his mind.
So, my son wants to be a Lego when he grows up.
It's no wonder.
We have them all over the house.
His brothers play with them all the time.
And they are so darn cool.
It made me remember a certain little girl who told me she wanted to be a horse when she grew up.
Kids. They don't see the boundaries, so they dream big, impossible things.
They believe anything is possible.
Grown-ups forget this. Don't believe it anymore.
We live in a world ringed round with practicality and limited by "reality".
But when our father is God, who lives outside our practicality . . .our physical world . . . our reality . . . is anything really impossible? His ways are higher than ours. And his thoughts too.
Not that I think we can grow up to be Legos, mind you. But I do think we can do more, be more than we think we can.
What are my "impossible" dreams?
What are yours?







5 comments:

Patti said...

First of all....that boy is too funny.
Second, this reminds me of something Justin Limmer hit on at in Omaha - God doesn't make 'probable promises'. He doesn't give you a dream that will probably come true. He gives us 'impossible promises' and they will come true because He is God. He doesn't forget the words He's spoken over us...we do.
And three - now I'm thinking of "...to dream the impossible dream..." and it's making me cry on the inside.

Micah Levi Photography said...

The family we spent Christmas with has a boy in third grade that wants to be a Lego designer. He has decided that he doesn't have to go past sixth grade.
I love Daniel's sweater! He looks like a small version of Pop Dan. Maybe Pip Dan?
Have you had a chance to read any of the website stuff I sent Joe? I tried to send it to both of you, but I have a bum address for you. See you in four weeks!

Patti said...

Why is Danny standing like that? It's killing me.

Mic - Pip Dan? That's hysterical.

Michelle said...

Patti, that's good: impossible promises. Micah, Pip Dan! Hysterical! I also was wondering why Daniel is standing like that, and also thought he looked like a little man!

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

His hair is too hilarious!