Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Resolutions . . . or . . .

I've asked myself these questions before, and I ask them again, now, here. I hope I never stop asking:
this year, am I going to be content to passively make resolutions that I may or may not keep? Or am I going to actively start revolutions, rebelling against self, sin, the commonplace, the status quo, the unholy?
Not that there is anything wrong with lists of improvements we would like to see for ourselves. I have quite a long one, I assure you, packed with things like . . . read and pray more, be more thoughtful, hold my tongue, read to the boys more, be a better wife . . . all the usual stuff.
But why is it usual stuff?
If resolutions were helping me, I'd be able to cross some of this stuff off my list from time to time instead of lugging these issues around from year to year.
So this year, I call a revolt.
Revolutions are the stuff of battlefields and brouhahas, met with blood, sweat and tears. I realize this.
"To do" lists often lay on air conditioned desks and collect dust, shuffled under all the paperwork that gathers and distracts.
I'm tired of carrying my list around for years on end, tacking more issues to it as I go.
I want to change.
And while some days I'd probably rather have it the easy way, moving from year to year in quiet resignation and defeat, dragging my list behind me, there is something else on the inside of me that wants to, needs to, longs to be free!
So, I'm joining up with the greatest revolutionary ever known . . . Jesus, who rebelled against the world system, and even his own disciples' ideas of who he was, and laid himself down to die so his Father's kingdom could come.
Even so, Lord Jesus.
Come.

2 comments:

Patti said...

I don't really have anything to comment....but the security word here is 'connama'.

Is this a group of commas?...a coma you fall into as a result of using too many commas?....or, perhaps, not enough commas?...a conference for con artists?

And....it makes me want to sing 'Mana Mana'.

Sarah said...

I'm with ya, Joy!
My security word is "latap", that's Spanish for "the tap!"