Thursday, January 14, 2010

A gift worth remembering . . .

I feel like I overlooked this in my post about Christmas, so now, it gets a post of it's own.
At our house, we have a small built-in desk in our kitchen.
Usually, this desk is the catch all for mail and school papers and coupons and magazines and recipes. The drawers seem like junk drawers, holding more toys and tools and nonesense items than useful desk items (i.e. pens and pencils and tape and staples and notepads, etc.).
Really, it has been an eyesore and a source of frustration to me.
On Black Friday, my mom, my boys and I went shopping and found ourselves in Target (love it!!).
We were in an aisle with all sorts of neat-o organizational trays and drawers and baskets and gadgets.
"This is what I need! I need to get that crazy desk organized!" I huffed out, an answer to my mom's earlier question, "What do you want for Christmas?"
My sons live in my house, so they know about "the desk", and they were there in that aisle that day. I thought nothing of my comment, and just assumed that I would continue to wrestle with messy-deskdom until I decided enough was enough, and sprang for the get-it-all-in-order gadgets that would change my life.
But someone was listening and hearing my wish.
Weeks later, when Joe took the boys on their annual "shopping for mom" trip, Isaac told him, "What mom really wants is for the desk in the kitchen to be organized."
And they bought some nifty trays and pencil holders and paper holders . . . and blessed me with two wonderful Christmas gifts!!
1) An organized desk.
2) The thoughtfulness of my oldest son, who heard me, and listened, and made my wish come true.
Thanks, Isaac.
It is truly one of the best gifts I have ever gotten!

3 comments:

Patti said...

I'm loving that the top photo is an advert for the blog.

Sarah said...

That sounds like the kind of gift I would love! How sweet that Isaac remembered - he sure loves his mommy! See you guys soon!!! Our flight leaves February 12th!

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

I love it!