Thursday, March 5, 2009

Some thoughts from my six year old

Last night, as Josiah was having a bedtime snack, he was looking at a tooth he recently lost and he asked me, "Mom, who invented teeth?"
"Teeth weren't invented,hon. God created them," I answered.
"God created them?"
"Yep."
"And he created people?"
"Yep."
"And the whole world!!!"
"That's right."
"Wow. God's a good inventor," he said.
It sounds so simple. So clear, when you see it from the faith-eyes of a child. Having just watched Ben Stein's Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed, I wondered if Richard Dawkins might benefit from sitting and having a conversation with my son. Why is God less feasible than crystals or aliens?
Then, as six-year-olds are wont to do, he switched gears completely. Pulling a pit from the tangerine he was eating before he popped a section into his mouth and holding it up to me on a sticky finger he asked, "What are these, anyway? Nuts?"
I smiled.
Sometimes, I forget how very much there is yet to know when you are six. The world is full of thousands of marvelous mysteries. I am humbled, awed, and glad that, for three little boys, I am able to help unlock some of them.

3 comments:

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

He is so cute!

Patti said...

Oh, man. I love that I can picture him saying all of that. And thinking the seed was a nut....that is classic.

Security word: ticing -- perhaps like icing

bailey lotterer said...

he is one sweet little boy!!!!!!!!!!