Monday, March 2, 2009

Finally up and running . . .okay, walking . . . well, crawling along . . . you know how it goes

It has been a long time.
A long, long time.
After what seems like eternities of waiting for a new laptop and internet access, and after a few foibles, I believe I am back in the game.
And not a moment too soon.
I was telling Joe the other day that writing has a way of centering me, of making me more aware of myself and other people, other things around me; it gives me a perspective that somehow gets lost when I am not sitting down and sorting it all out, remembering, telling, reliving, processing it all in words.
Nouwen said, "What I am discovering is that in the writing, I come in touch with the spirit of God."
This is true for me, too.
So, what is happening here?
Well, I have sick kids at home and a good friend of mine will be visiting from Florida. That's about the crux of it right now.
On a personal note, I feel like I am coming out of a slump that I've been in for several weeks now (probably because I haven't been writing!!). As the edge of spring slices into the heart of the bitter cold days of winter, I feel like the trees I have seen here lately, budding with the promise of bloom though frost still threatens.
The boys are beautiful, as always.
Daniel is a spitfire! He loves to go outside in the "told" (cold) and is, to my dismay at times, exploring everything with a voracity and speed which is at times appalling.
He was walking down the hall with a jar of Vick's vapor rub this afternoon, unscrewing the cap at lightning speed and glooping it out with his hands when Josiah alerted me by yelling, "Mom!! he has the vicksoline!!!"
Isaac is working hard at school, and is about to become a full fledged Boy Scout of America!
He was doing his homework earlier, writing an essay, I believe, and wondered out loud "What are some good reasons to like books?"
"Well," I counter queried, never wanting to just give the answer away on a silver platter, "what are some good reasons to like books?" to which Josiah, who was doing his own homework, pipped up and answered "Because they're satisfyin'!!"
In the 40 some seconds it took for this insightful exchange, Daniel had taken all of the Tupperware out of the cabinets and placed it strategically around the kitchen floor.
Jut a little taste of life here with three boys.
Josiah has been battling pneumonia. This is his second bout of it this year, and he finds himself with upper respiratory sicknesses quite a bit these days. I am praying it does not continue to be an issue.
That is a brief update for now. I will try to get pics up tonight or in the near future.
It's good to be back!!

6 comments:

Patti said...

"Vicksoline" - I love that! That is going on the Top 10 list of wonderful things your boys say. "Vicksoline" - it is certainly putting a smile on my face. I think that is what I shall call VapoRub from this day forth.

...and I'm with Jo; books are "satisfyin'"

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

It is so good to hear from you again! It is like a breath of fresh air!

Michelle said...

Ditto to Patti!

Scott said...

It would seem as if we have a new word christened in the English language today. Cheers to vicksoline!

Micah & Sarah said...

I prefer the taste of Mentholatum.

word verification: cramette
Probably a French insult.

Micah & Sarah said...

We wrote about Winter becoming Spring at about the same time!
Thank you for the encouraging comment. ~Micah