Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Chicken and dumplings for the soul

Yesterday, we woke to torrential rain and rolling thunder.
It down-poured all morning, and when I walked out of my classroom in the afternoon, I was surprised to see the most brilliant blue sky and the sun, shinning on the still wet pavement. It was warmer that it had been earlier in the day, but cooler than it has been in a while. There was an early Spring chill in the air that was reminiscent of New Jersey springs of my childhood.
It was the perfect weather for a large pot of chicken and dumplings. Joe prepared the chicken and veggies before I got home from school, and then I made and added the dumplings (which, for some reason, either clumped up with each other or completely disintegrated into the stock, making a nice, creamy soup, but reducing the number of dumplings in the pot!).
I quickly made some biscuits to take the place of the dumplings and called it good.
And it was.
Good!
It was so warm and tasty, with lots of chunky veggies and tender chicken. Spooned over the biscuits, it was the perfect meal for a day like yesterday.
Isaac had several helpings.
After dinner, it was nice enough for the boys and Joe and David to do some work in the yard.
I spent some time plotting out our garden on paper and researching organic pesticides and vermin repellents. I think one thing I will do is plant marigolds around the perimeter of my beds. I may try some catnip too. Tigger and Tiger will love that! I have read that rabbits do not.
I talked to my friend Sandy today, also, about gardening. I am learning things by the minute, it seems. Remember, I have never done this before. This is a maiden voyage, if you will, of gardening for us.
Today, I learned that you plant melons in mounds. Fascinating.
I am not too uptight about how things turn out this year. While I want to be successful and reap a bountiful harvest, I know that this year is the learning curve for me. Some things will turn out and some things may not. I am okay with this, as long as I can learn from my mistakes and do it better next time.
I am very anxious, however, to receive our seeds. We called the seed company and they said they would be sending them out this week. If there is nothing by Friday, I will call again.
We have some time planned out on Sunday to do a little work in the garden with the Brooks, but we'll have to see. Snow is in the forcast for Saturday, and a friend was telling me today that it may be quite a bit of snow.
Today is a beautiful day, but a bit on the cooler side.
Daniel loves to see the pre-schoolers on our way to class. If the day is nice, they are outside playing int he play-yard. He always stops to play. Today, they were blowing bubbles. He participated in the fun until all the kids were picked up.
Later, during class, he brought me a black marker and said, "dis black." Shocked that he would know that, I picked up a red marker and asked, "what color is this?"
"Um, red!" he yelled.
"Very good!!" I said, in amazement.
He looked at me and asked "Pink?" and shrugged his shoulders.
Who knew he knew this stuff. I have not been going over colors with him.
Never underestimate the power of Blue's Clues!
I am not looking forward to the cold weather predicted for this weekend, but I say, bring it on . . . we have leftover chicken and dumplings!!

3 comments:

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

He knows his colors too!?!

Patti said...

"Pink?" - That cracks me up.

Shelden said...

"Pink?" - that is funny! Well it is good that he knows his colors!

- Molly