Sunday, June 1, 2008

If wishes were horses . . . beggars would eat PIZZA!!

This post is a sequel, if you will, to yesterday's post.
I continued following my kids around with the camera yesterday and captured some pretty delightful stuff.
I have always loved the children's verse If Wishes Were Horses. It goes like this:

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
If turnips were watches, I would wear one by my side.
And if "ifs" and "ands"
Were pots and pans,
There'd be no work for tinkers!"

My grandma used to recite this to me a lot
Yesterday, my children inspired me to write my own line to add to this short poem:
"If boxes and baskets were ships and boats,
We could sail far away and just float, float, float!" (or something like that).

As I was watching them paddle across the living room floor in their makeshift skiffs, I thought, "I love the imaginations my kids have! "
Their dad is trying to teach them the principle "play when you play and work when you work."
Yesterday, though the boys played hard, they did some work, too.
Isaac copied out Psalm 1 ("grandpa's favorite", he keeps reminding me), which he is memorizing this summer.
Josiah is copying his A,B,C scriptures. Today was "A is for 'All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.' Romans 3:23"
They also studied their horse facts so they'll be ready for a quiz from Ms. Rachel on Tuesday.
While they worked, I picked out three hymns for a hymn study we will do over the summer months. They are: "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing", "I Will Arise and Go To Jesus", and "Be Thou My Vision." More on that later.
After their copywork, it was time to help Ryan make pizza.
They got to make their own meat lover's pizza, and they were so proud of it!
Ryan also made a gourmet pizza with yellow and green peppers, portobella mushrooms and a pepper pesto. Delish!!
There was a supreme pizza with the works too(but no anchovies, thank heavens!).

After dinner, we tried to do something nice for Gramp, Aunt Kat and MiMi by bringing them frozen yogurt cones from Braum's, but it was too humid, and the yogurt began to turn into a sticky, goo-y mess that got all over Isaac, and the truck!
He was holding on to all the cones which had been placed in drink cups in a cup holder. Seemed like a clever idea, but the cones were top heavy and kept falling out of the cups, onto Isaac.
By the time we got to grandpa's, he was pretty much covered in melted frozen yogurt.
It didn't keep him from enjoying his ice cream, though, which he ate outside with his brothers and I. He hit the shower as soon as he was done, though.
So much for random acts of kindness! It's certainly the last time we will be bearing gifts of frozen yogurt cones!
I am so proud of my oldest son.
He is such a great help to me, and I appreciate his attitude and willingness(most times) to serve.
Last week in church Doug said something that was impactive to me. He said that there is a big difference between serving and being a servant.
This is something I want to teach my children, and something I need to remember in my own life, everyday.
Thank you, Isaac, for being such a great servant and a great son!