Friday, June 13, 2008

And the clouds are not sky-y all day




The skies have been full of dramatic could formations these past few weeks (in case you couldn't tell from my many photos of the clouds in this and previous posts. They have fascinated me.).
They have ranged from Hollywood-set-surreal white puffs to dark and brooding glowering greys.
They have raced and lumbered and meandered and sailed across the skies.
There have been so many strong storms in the plains region, the most recent ones claiming the lives of two western Kansans and four Boy Scout campers in Iowa (may God comfort those who mourn and may they find hope in tomorrow), and I believe the clouds here have been wild, because of the wild weather all around.
So far we have been . . . I always struggle with what to say here . . . blessed? lucky? fortunate? to not have weather that has been too severe come through our neck of the woods, though we have found ourselves in the basement waiting out sirens more times so far than any other year I have lived here.
I struggle with words in cases like this, because I in no way want to imply that God's blessing, or lack thereof, as the case may be, has anything to do with who is devastated by or spared from disastrous weather.
I do not believe in luck.
I guess fortunate is the best bet there, though again, this language can tend to separate into the "haves" and "have-nots." Fortune smiled on me in this situation but not on you . . .
Am I over thinking this?
Maybe this PC world we live in has addled my brain!
But I do think of the families who are missing loved ones sleeping in their beds tonight. Missing them sitting to a meal, coming home from work, singing in the shower. . . all because a tornado ripped through their lives and not mine.
Do not mistake me; I do not envy them.
I know their loss is deep.
I know my own sudden losses.
I know, also, that the wost thing someone else can be in those times is trite.
And so, I worry about words.

We had a quiet morning.
Joe helped the boys work on their pine wood derby cars, spiffing them up, getting them ready to race tomorrow.
Let me tell you, 'dem cars are fierce!
Isaac's is designed like a cool, blue shark, and Josiah's is a red hot rod with flames shooting out all over it.
Yeah, that's about right.

Josiah made his own peanut butter and jelly sandwich today, and Isaac made his own scrambled eggs.
*Sob*Sob* my boys are growing up!

The boys and I went shopping for father's day stuff and organizational items.
We are doing some summer work a little more regularly, and I want it to be fun and neat.
Neat = fun, right?
It does for mom.

I think Joe will like what we got for him (especially since he bought two of his own gifts).
The kids and I are working on a project though, and I think it might make him cry.
We went out to gramp's for dinner.
Leftovers of all the good food they've had there through the week. Yum.
The boys went for a walk with MeMe and Aunt Kat, and made bows and arrows out of sticks found on their outing.
I love this picture!

I let the boys stay up late, and watched Man vs. Wild with them.
We haven't seen T.V. in so long, especially all together.
Of course, the new seasons of HGTV Design Star and Next Food Network Star have begun, so you know where you can find us on Sunday nights. We all love, love, love those shows.
Anyway, it is much, much later now, and I am done with this day.
Tonight . . . clear skies.

5 comments:

Patti said...

you are cracking me up. i got to chat with sarah on facebook tonight. it was wonderful and i only tell you in hopes that you'll be jealous.

love you.

Joy said...

very!

Micah & Sarah said...

I'm jealous, too. I wasn't able to type a word in edgewise. Love the solar flare in the pic of the boys. Very good manipulation of light. ~Micah

Joy said...

Thanks. I have no idea what I am doing really. It's all pretty much been a surprise. I have found that I love it, though. Capturing life with a lens. Maybe it's a new hobby! I need another one, you know.

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

I am jealous too!!!!!!!!