Sunday, June 15, 2008

Good food, good meat, good friends, let's eat!

Today, after church, we had a few (okay, maybe more than a few) people over at Gramp's to celebrate Daniel's First Birthday, and Father's day.
Again, it was a bulging-at-the-seams house, full to the rafters with laughter and conversation and the smell of great food!
Thanks, Mike, for the excellent grilling!
Daniel got some really cute gifts -- outfits and tub toys and a guitar with lots of bells and whistles and music. He loves it, and it is so cute to watch him dance to the songs.

Thanks to all who lavished him with love and gifts.
Joe and Gramp got some stuff too, it being Father's Day and all.


The boys' friend, Sammy, stayed on after the festivities ended, and they had fun playing with Isaac's lab kit.
Can you say mad scientist?

Joe mowed at the house this afternoon, since the rest of the week is calling for rain and storms.
This evening, we spent time together, first taking a Sunday drive and then settling down with snacks to watch our shows.
We had a good day. Lots of good memories.
I thought about dad a lot today. I pictured him there with us, sitting, listening, commenting, grinning.
I could hear his voice, see the mischief in his eyes, anticipate his stories . . ."I knew a guy once . . . his name was Blinky. He had one glass eye."
The crazy thing is, it would be true.
I would say I missed him, but the odd truth is, he was right there, remembered, loved, thought of, as much a part of my heart as he ever was.
Happy Father's Day, dad.

2 comments:

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

I wish that I could have been there!

Shelden said...

I remember that day.
- Molly