Thursday, June 5, 2008

A day out on God's big playground

It's been a full day, and as I sit typing this, we are under severe weather watches.
We went to visit grandpa at his house this morning.
The sky was blue, the sun was shinning and the clouds -- perfect, fluffy, white dreams -- were sailing over the landscape. It was soooo windy!
The boys loved it, though, and we sat out in the whipping wind, letting it blow through our hair, over and around us.
They sat for some time and watched Grandpa's neighbor, Jim, cut down some bushes by the pond that had rumored nests of water moccasins under them.
I just want to say for the record, no water moccasins were discovered. However, we are now one blackberry bush poorer.
It didn't take long, though, for the boys to be up and at it, playing all over the yard.
Josiah was running and jumping and catching hold of the lower branches of the trees. Then he would hang suspended and swing there for a moment before dropping off.
"Look, mom. It's like a playground. A nature playground. Like God just made a playground out of trees and stuff."
"Yeah, the trees are like the jungle gyms!" Isaac added.
What a child-like take on the world my young sons have.
I love it.
Daniel enjoyed playing outside too, and spent most of the time discovering the many joys and uses of rocks.
Grandpa is up to his old tricks again, tooling around in the tool shed.


I took these pics at gramp's ( your comments about my photography --haha-- have gone to my head, I'm afraid.).

The boys had riding lessons today.
Their dad was able to come along to see the action.
We met Andre the Giant, a good little pup that was abandoned out on the ranch, and who has adopted Kevin and Rachel.
Daniel was particularly taken with him. Ya know, being a puppy and all. Daniel loves him some puppies.
Isaac and Jo rode Bounder again. He is a good horse.
It was neat to see the boys lead the horse and groom the horse -- all the things they have been learning.
Rachel is a good and patient teacher.

They had a friend, Aaron, with them, and he even got to get up on the horse today.
We got home in time to eat dinner (thank you, Joe, for cooking a wonderful meal!) and head out the door to VBS.
We are coming to the end of VBS. Tomorrow night is Family Night, the last night of VBS, and we will have a cookout and fun activities to wrap up our week together.
The boys have had such a good time with it. They love all the spy gear they have been making, and the stories pull them in and teach them important principles.
Isaac was sad that tomorrow evening will be the last night . . . "until next time," I said.
Well, I think we are in the clear as far as the weather is concerned, so I am going to get some rest.
Tomorrow, as they say, is another day.

2 comments:

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

Joy! You continue to capture my mind with your beautiful speach and great photography.

Shelden said...

I love the pictures of the flowers at Pop Dans. Daniel looks so cute in the pic with the rocks. When I first read that you met Andre the giant I was thinking of the actor. I thought to myself, they met Andre the giant at a farm? When I figured out that it was a dog I laughed.