Monday, March 17, 2008

The wearing of the green

The image “http://static.flickr.com/31/62005559_01e88d1366.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
Happy St. Patty's Day, all.
It's been a few days since my last post.
I have been busy packing, keeping up with the boys and missing Joe.
Today is the first day of Spring break, but it is rainy and chilly.
"It feels more like Christmas break than Spring break out here!" Isaac commented on our way to the store this morning. He was right. Where's the Spring part?
We have had a good day, despite the rainy weather.
We woke up early as usual - 7a.m. - there is no sleeping in with three active boys!
I made the boys Italian bread toast with apricot jam and orange slices for breakfast.
Isaac got a hair to make yogurt smoothies, and we had all the ingredients, so he did.
Here's the recipe:
1 cup yogurt
1 banana, sliced
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup ice
Blend together!
It's delicious, or as Isaac would say, "Better than sonic!"
As we settled around the table, I began to tell the boys about Holy week, beginning with Palm Sunday, which was yesterday.
I know they have heard this story, but I wanted to tell it to them again, to repeat it. The scriptures say that we should be repeating to our children when they rise, walk, sit all the good things God has done for us; we should be telling them about who He is.
Their eyes were wide as we talked about how Jesus was first accepted and praised, the people pinning all their hopes on Him for a better future, a better government. He was to be their savior, only, they didn't realize how.
We talked about the fact that Jesus made the religious leaders angry because He did not follow the law the way they thought He should.
We didn't get very far before Daniel needed to go down for a nap and we needed to get ready to go to the store.
We eventually made it to Wal-Mart where we picked up supplies for a traditional St. Patty's day meal, corned beef and cabbage. Josiah wanted a watermelon. He loves them so much. "It's green for our St. Patty's day season!" he exclaimed. I was sold.
After the store, we went to the library and the boys picked out some books. I did too. We got some St. Patty's day books and cowboy books and children's art books. I got some neat-looking cookbooks too.We went to Otto's for lunch because it was getting late in the day, and I wanted to finish the story of Jesus' death and resurrection with little distraction.
We ordered -- Isaac got chili and coffee (such a little man), Josiah got peanut butter and jelly with hot cocoa, and I got a cheeseburger with hot cocoa.


The boys read some books while we were waiting for lunch to arrive, which it did in record time.
As we ate I told the boys the rest of the story. They were wide eyed, and at times their eyes were red rimmed and brimming with tears as I told them about the sacrifice Jesus made for us, how he gave his life for ours. The great exchange.
When we were talking about Good Friday, Josiah rubbed his eyes and said, "I don't get it. Why do they call it Good Friday when bad things happened?"
I explained that even though what happened to Jesus was horrid and murderous, it was good news for us that he endured the cross, because we would have no hope of salvation and reconciliation with God without his sacrifice. "He loves us that much," I said.
They were quiet for a long time, and I let them think about it all for a while.
On the way home, I finished the story. I told about the day his followers found His empty tomb. How he met them and ate with them. I told them about the Ascension, and that one day, He would come back the way He left.
By that time, we were pulling into the drive at home. Josiah jumped out of the truck and scanned the grey skies. "He's coming out of the sky? When?"
"No one knows. Remember though, that one day He will come, and keep looking."
"Maybe He'll come back on Easter!" Isaac shouted into the air. "Or Christmas, like when He came the first time!"
They were both looking up now, quizzing the sky, asking the silent question, "When?"
The rest of the afternoon was a flurry of cooking and redying things for company as much as I could in a cottage filled with boxes.
Mom, Gramp, Patty, Bekah and her two angel-babies Ethan and Audry joined us for dinner. We had some sloppy Joe and mac-n-cheese for the not-so-Irish among us, as well as the traditional corned beef fare.
Isaac made a batch of smoothies for everyone. There was a lot of laughing and talking and crying too, as there is when tiny people are present.
The boys played a game with Patty, Star Wars Monopoly, which thrilled the socks off them.
I got a chance to talk to my Uncle Tom, my dad's brother, tonight, and that was good. I miss my dad so, especially today.
Before bed, I read the boys St. Patrick's Day in the Morning by Eve Bunting. I highly recommend it. It is so beautifully written and the story is very cute.
The boys are all asleep now.
The house is quiet and I am about the task of cleaning up from the day.
It was a very good day.
If Joe were here, it would have been perfect.

4 comments:

Patti said...

even though i heard the events of today from your own mouth earlier this evening i couldn't be torn away from reading your words

tonight was a blast, and it was a shame your husband wasn't here to celebrate with us

the pictures are extra great today,too

Micah & Sarah said...

This post makes me quone. Haven't you ever quoned for something?

Don't forget to check for new pictures on the flickr link on our blog.

Michelle said...

Joy, once again I am in amazement of you and your ability to write. Beautiful. Thank you.

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

That sounds like a wonderful day! You are such a great writter! It is always such a blessing to be able to read from a great writter! Love you!