Friday, March 7, 2008

Artsy-fartsy Friday


























"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
paints his own nature into his pictures." Henry Ward Beecher

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

Due to an opening in our art department at the shcool, I now have the opportunity to teach art to the fourth, fifth and sixth grades for an hour on Friday afternoons.
Today was my third week teaching it.
Last week, since it was right before the first of March, I had the students read and discuss the poem "Who Can See The Wind." Then, we looked at three of VanGogh's paintings in which you can see evidence of the wind. I had the students paint their own pictures that "show the wind" using watercolors.
They came up with some amazing pieces of art!
This week, I brought in several shells and pieces of coral Mom collected at the beach on her trip to Florida last week. I had the students look at them, touch them, study the lines and contours and shapes and shades and shadows, and then sketch them with drawing pencils.
It has been so neat to see the students engaged in creating. I believe we are close to God when we are creating. We are exhibiting a family trait.
Next week I will . . . who knows. Anyone have any ideas? I am building a curriculum for next year, but there is not much time left this school year, so I am sort of jumping around. If anyone has any good ideas, or insights or projects, please feel free to share.
Here are some "Can you see the wind?" pieces. The first one is Isaac's.


3 comments:

Michelle said...

Shelden told me about these projects and how much she is enjoying it. She described her flag and was excited that it turned out well--she was RIGHT! Wow! I'm impressed! Thanks for laying your life down and imparting into our kids!

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

I love our artsy fartsy fridays with you!

Patti said...

i absolutely love that isaac's painting was of a rocking chair and a bookcase by an open window....are you raising this boy right, or what?