Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Lots to blog about


This is what happens when you don't blog for a few days. There is so much that I want to write.
Sunday was a great day. Church was really good (see Joe's blog for sermon notes) and we had lots of people over afterwards.
Sundays are some of my favorite times.













A church service should not define your relationship with God, your everyday walk with Him and others should do that, but there is something so refreshing about coming together with family and friends in a formal setting for the purpose of giving honor to God in unity of heart and spirit.
The sound of tens of voices of people I know and love and am connected to, joined together and ringing out praises to Almighty God undid me Sunday, and I found myself weeping through "Hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah, our God reigns."
When church ended, we had a house full of friends, continuing church in a different venue, and I got a little choked up thinking about all the gatherings this little cottage has seen, and how we are living in our last days in this house.
It was a relaxing afternoon, good food, good company and nowhere to go . . .
Nowhere until later that evening that is.




























Several couples got together at a friends house Sunday night.
Years ago we used to get together with friends on a regular basis. Life happened and now we're all several kids richer, tons busier and more tired than ever. Getting together, let's just say, hasn't been so regular lately.
We threw some snacks on the table, and played some games that were very relational in nature. Here's how they went: When we came in, we each had to write one question, like "where do you see yourself in 10 years", or "what's your dream job", or "if you were a superhero . . ."
The questions were collected and each person was asked five questions from the pile. They had to write their answers on a piece of paper, and everyone else had to write what they thought or knew their friends answers were. It was quite fun.
We also had to write five adjectives that describe us, and at the end of the evening, our lists were pulled from a bowl and everyone had to guess who the five words described.
It was so good to be together with friends and food and coffee (even though I had tea).
When we got home, Josiah was saying, "Children are tolerated, not just celebrated."
I recognized this inverted saying as something he picked up in church, even though he was saying it backward.
"No," I corrected him,"it's children are celebrated, not just tolerated."
"What's tolerated?" he asked.
I explained that tolerated means "put up with".
"We don't want to just put up with our children. We want to celebrate them!"
"Oh, that's good!" he said.
Yes, it is.
Yesterday was the start of another week, and parent teacher conferences were last night.
Today, we are helping Joe get ready for his trip to Sweden.
He is leaving in the morning with our pastor, Doug, and another person from church. They are going to connect with churches and leaders there that our church has relationship with. They will attend a conference, and travel to several churches, encouraging them and bringing God's word and fresh insight.
It is a mission trip, of sorts.
He'll be back next Thursday.
The boys and I miss him already, but I am excited for him, and I know that he will have so many stories to tell.
We took a ride together tonight, Joe, the boys and I, Daniel in his big boy car seat. We had some errands to run. We were enjoying each other's company and a drink from Sonic, and the sun was sinking into the west. Evening was coming on subtly in the east, and stars began to shimmer faintly. I took a deep breath. This is my life. It has been a beautiful day.
Tomorrow, Joe will fly halfway around the world. Some of me will go with him. I will think of him all the time, every minute he is away; it will be a natural reflex, like breathing. All of me will wait for him to come home. Home to the boys and I. Home to our life.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I agree, I had such a great day Sunday. Thanks for your hospitality and friendship. On a different note, I am always in awe of your writing and how you speak to the heart. You're TERRIFIC!

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

I am going to miss your house so much! there are so many memories in that house!

Jamison said...

I am afraid that I ball up and cry like a baby when I read your blog. I must stop!.........Just kidding. Thank for the wonderful time Sunday and Sunday night and for the last 12ish years of friendship. We are truly knit as families and always will be.

Micah & Sarah said...

I am crying even as I write this - I burst into tears as I began to read and see the pictures. I know that even when we come back to Pittsburg, we'll never return to that house and some things will never be the same way we remember them. I love God, I love the Church, and I love Family. It's so strange how I can love this place so much, and yet miss everything there so much that I can't quit crying...and I'm supposed to work on lesson planning today! We'll see how much I can actually accomplish. Love you, Joy. ~Sarah