Saturday, February 20, 2010

You know it's an Olympic year when . . .

. . . your two year old says, as he is playing with Legos and wooden blocks that look like arched bridges, "Look, mom. Her snowboarding!" (we are working on that pronoun thing) as he slides the figure up and down the halfpipe looking structure. I guess he's paying more attention than we thought.
Don't they always? They catch lots of stuff we want them to, and lots of stuff we don't.
Today, Isaac is at his last junior division basketball game for his school. I am home with Daniel, who is still a bit under the weather, and Josiah, who we are struggling to keep well. His chest sounds yucky, and he gets pneumonia so easily.
This is the first sporting event I have missed. But Isaac is with his dad today, and that is good. Joe gave up sleep to be there. Joe gives up sleep to do a lot of things for the boys and I. Thank you, Joe. Sincerely and humbly, thank you.
For me, the day is to be filled with finishing the laundry (are you ever really done, though?) and playing castle with the boys, and folding clothes, and playing blocks, and putting clothes away, and reading out loud to the boys. Do you see a trend here?
Joe called a bit ago. Isaac's team won their first game, but not their second and they are on  their way home!
Yeah! I love when we are all home together!
We'll talk about the day and catch each other up on everything we missed at the game and at home, and then maybe we'll sit together for a while and watch the Olympics! Joe may doze off, but that's okay. He deserves every z he gets! As far as dad's go . . . he's a gold medal champion!!

5 comments:

Kerri said...

There is ALWAYS laundry to be done. That's just precious how Daniel was using the block as a half pipe.

Missing you. Speedy wellness for those boys of yours.

Shelden said...

Kids have such vivid imaginations! gotta love them....

Scott said...

A boy with perception. Awesome! We need men like that in the world, keep going and growing, Daniel. And to commiserate, Joy, I'm doing laundry as I write. A little poetry for you Joy.

Ode to Laundry
(with inspiration from Kipling and Frost)

Piles to the left of me,
Piles to the right of me,
Piles in front of me,
soiled and waiting.

O'whelmed by socks and towels,
busy washing next days wears,
Into the washer they go,
Into the dryer they go,
my 600th load.

With piles to go before I'm done, With piles to go before I'm done.

Joy N. said...

Love that poem! I may frame it and hang it in my laundry room!

Patti said...

I have to give kudos to the poem, as well. It was great. Needlepoint that and sell it in a catalog - you could make millions. Scary, but true.

Security word: pressnel
"These pressnels are making me thirsty!"