Sunday, May 4, 2008

Moving on

Well, the house is all packed up, and the cottage we have lived in for the past two years will belong to someone else tomorrow.
I walked from room to room today, making sure we had everything, watching the way the sunlight sprawled on the floor in each room, breathing in the smell of the empty house, remembering.

Lots of things have happened in the short time we have lived there.
Lots of memories.
And leaving it will be one more.
I am sad about it, today. Not forlorn, but there was a pang in my heart as I passed through the rooms, seeing the forms of my children running through the house, hearing their voices calling through the rooms, recalling all the dinners with friends, all the cups of coffee, mourning dad, bringing Daniel home, mourning grandma, all in that house.
It was a good house.
It was our home.
Soon, we will continue the journey of our lives in a new house.
Now, we are in the process of making it a nice house.
When we are finally there, we will make it our home.
In other news . . .
Grandpa is home, and looks quite well! It is good to have him back and recovering.
He gave us a scare.
Our good friend David Grey is visiting, easing our transition from our home to this in-between state at mom's.
We are easing a transition for him too, I'd like to think, as he moves from Omaha, his home of many years, to Oklahoma and then . . .
Through it all, grandpa's illness, the move, and everything in between, there have been friends who have stuck by us, who have saved our skins more than once, and who continue to give of themselves though they must be tired, worn out and frankly, sick of us by now.
To them I say thank you, thank you, thank you, and may God bless your lives richly and lavishly and generously, the way you have blessed us!

Proverbs 18:24 "There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."

John 15:13 "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down His life for his friends."

2 comments:

Shelden said...

I can't believe you lived there for two years! It seems like you lived there for only a little while. I thought you didn't have to be out of there until this Saturday. But Patti told me you had to be out by this afternoon! So,are you going to be moving in right away? I thought you had part of it demolished and some of it under construction? But I guess not all of it is under construction. I still can't believe you are moving from that house. As you said,there are a lot of memory's in that house. But I bet there are going to be a lot of memory's in the new house. It feels like I haven't seen you in a while but I just saw you yesterday. I miss you at school teaching Latin. Hope to see you tomorrow at school. Lots of love,



-Shelden

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

I do not want you to leave that home!!!!!!! I love that cottage!