Monday, May 19, 2008

Last firsts, part II


Daniel will be one in three and a half weeks.
Where did the year go?
He has four teeth now, and he knows how to use em! Sometimes it's good, like when he's eating a cracker. Sometimes it's not so good, like when he thinks he's gonna kiss you and gives you a nip instead. Or when he's mad about not getting his way (yeah, we have to work on that one).
A few days ago he learned to wave hello and goodbye.
A few weeks ago he learned how to clap his hands.
Today, he took his first series of steps by himself. He walked down the hallway at my mom's between his dad and I.
He walks on his hands and feet. Too funny!
He enjoys going for walks, and hangs his head over the side of the stroller to see his shadow.
He has a new friend, a large stuffed bear named buddy who he cuddles with and kisses and loves. They are quickly becoming inseparable.
He discovered trains last week when one went screaming by, so close we could almost touch it, and his eyes followed every car, his mouth parted, breathing quick as he tried to understand what this new noise and motion was and how he could get a hold of it.
He loves to laugh at his brothers, and watches everything they do.
He's certainly been a joy to watch grow.
I found this song the other day and it makes me smile, because I think of Daniel and how much he is learning and growing, how full of wide-eyed wonder he is at everything around him, and how far he still has to go.
May these days go slowly by.
I wish I could capture them and put them in a jar.
But they are in my heart, and that will have to be good enough.
Here's to you, Daniel, my little man.
Enjoy! (Turn the music player off to listen to the song.)

1 comment:

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

There is no way that Daniel is going to be one so soon! I can still remember the first time that you got to hold him! Josiah would not stop kissing him and Isaac could not stop smiling! Daniel has grown so much. I can still not believe that it has almost been a year! I love you so much!