Thursday, May 22, 2008

For my mom

The image “http://www.alphaarts.org/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/black-white-trees--web.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Mom asked me not to make a big deal out of Mother's Day this year, her first year without her mother.
I tried to respect that, but she is my mom, and I wanted to appreciate, to celebrate her.
We did give her flowers and gifts, but other than that, I tried to respect her request.
What I have discovered in my middle-aged life is while holidays are nice, we should celebrate those we love everyday, and not save it all for one Hallmark designated special occasion.
In this spirit, I share with you now a poem I have recently written for my mom.
Happy Thursday, mom. Today you are loved.

Because of You

Because of you,

Me.

Seed planted long ago.

The apple does not fall far.

Shelter, your branches.

Nourishment, your roots.

Seedling, sapling, shade tree,

Dropping seeds of my own.

We are Planted in the same soil,

Roots mingling, tangling, embracing,

Reaching.

Strong and beautiful, we;

Extending with a tremble,

Dancing in the wind,

Crying the rain.

Shelter, our branches.

Nourishment, our roots.

Seedling, sapling.

(C) J.R.N., 2008