Friday, May 9, 2008

Getting back to normal . . . whatever that is!

It's been raining . . . and raining, and raining.
Yesterday, as we were leaving for school, slogging through the wet grass, Josiah said, "We won't get to go outside today for recess, I can feel it in my gut! I can really feel it" and with that, he tapped his stomach with his clenched fist several times.
Where do they come from?
Daniel will be one in a few weeks. Is that possible? He is climbing stairs like a pro, and even taught himself how to crawl down them backwards. He just has to work on realizing how many stairs there are to go down.

Isaac is ready for school to be out, as are we all, I think. One week to go.
Last week was wacky week, though, so at least it was fun.
Monday was spirit day. The kids had to wear white, black or red shirts to show support to our school.
Tuesday was dress up day. Isaac was a New York Yankee and Josiah was a Knight.

Wednesday was wacky day . . . the wackier the better!
Thursday was pajama day. Everyone walked around in a stupor all day, wanting to take a nap. Good thing we don't wear pjs on a regular basis. Everyone would be tired all the time.

Today was just good old non-uniform day.
Next week is full of fun days and end of the year parties, etc.
Of course, summer break, for us, means settling into the new house, which is still "under construction." Some minor repairs and remodels have turned into some major projects, so we are still waiting it out at mom's and working on the house when we can.
I keep driving to the old house when it is time to "go home." Creature of habit, I guess.
Today was a beautiful day, a respite from the rain and gloominess that can come with it.
The skies were a beautiful blue, the clouds were so white and full and majestic, looming over the landscape, almost touching earth, it seemed. It's like all the rain was a spring cleaning for the sky, and today it gleamed.
Joe worked odd hours today, and the boys and I ate at grandpa's this evening.
The boys took the opportunity to play in the swollen pond. They looked so "Christopher Robin-ish" in their boots.

Gramp is doing well, recovering from the bypass and all the other ordeals.
It is so good to walk into the room where he is sitting in his recliner, to see him there and to hear his voice talking about anything.
A couple of years ago, I wrote the following in a journal, and today, as I passed him in his chair where he was reading the mail, I thought about this passage:

Have you ever been in a moment, and recognized, suddenly, that it is a moment you will remember forever. That it will later, maybe even years later, play back in your mind like a mini movie, and you will see clearly the patchy sunlight falling through the window, across your grandfather, sleeping in his chair. You will smell the early spring. You will see the candle flicker on the dresser. You will again feel the stab of love and sadness at seeing him there, sleeping in the daylight. And you know this, that it will play over again on days when the chair is empty; on days when it will no more hold the napping form of your grandfather.
This happens to me a lot lately. In these moments, time seems to move in slow motion, and there is a certain cognizance that the very moment I am in is becoming an indelible part of who I am. There is a clarity that escapes mere existence in these moments – a sharpness of senses that makes the scene surreal, almost. Dreamlike, except for the fact that I am acutely aware that I am, indeed, awake.
I have come to love these moments, even when they capture unpleasantness, for they make me aware I am alive. I hear the heart beating in my chest. I feel the blood running through my veins, my breathing rings in my ears, and I know, this – this very minute, and every minute like it -- is what it means to be alive.
Spring.
Early spring is here, indeed, and we are in it, and I love the way the air smells. Promise. It smells like promise.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I know exactly what you mean about knowing a moment is captured forever in your mind. You have such a beautiful way with words that brings out what I may be thinking but cannot express. Thank you.

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

What! Daniel 1 year old! Spirit week was so much fun! It is so great to hear that everything is working out okay during this time trying to get your new house done and taking care of pop and dealing with the last lesson plans and just living life. I just wanted to let you know that I love you and I want to encourage you because you are a great woman of God!

Shelden said...

I can't believe school is almost out! One more week to go. And Daniel,one? I can't believe it! Lots of love,


-Shelden

Andrea in Pittsburg said...

Thanks for sharing an old journal entry that manages to capture a universal experience that most of us have never been able to put in words. I had one of those moments today when I came home from work and a huge smile washed over Henry's face when he watched me walk in the door. It was magic.