Friday, April 11, 2008

Playing catch up


I have not been feeling well the past couple of days, and opted for sleep over blogging the past two nights, but now I am ready to play catch up and fill you in on the goings-on.
Wednesday, Josiah turned SIX!!!
The celebrating began in his kindergarten class, where he had a class party.
There was cake and chocolate milk and balloons and I read Cowboy and Octopus, a hysterical story about an unlikely friendship.

This year, Josiah is into cowboys and horses, so that is the theme of the celebrations.
After school, Jo opened gifts from Joe, Isaac and I. He got an MP3 player, some books about horses and drawing, clothes, a Star Wars Lego set, a dragon kite, and horse riding lessons which will begin in May.
Patty, mom, Joe, the boys and I went to the Deli at Jo's request, but I was feeling so sick, I went back to the truck and slept. Bummer.
After dinner, we went home, and got ready for homegroup -- I went to sleep. I understand there was a celebration for Jo then, also.
He had a good day.
The birthday festivities continued Thursday night at family dinner.
We had his favorite meal, pasta fagoli! (It's one of my favorites, too!)
Then he opened gifts from MeMe and Grandpa.

It was pretty extreme -- skateboard, helmet, knee pads, roller-shoes!
He had a blast trying everything out. He is a cautious kid, but once his tests his limits, there is nothing he will not try.

Today, we are taking a little birthday break, but tomorrow he has his "friend party".
The theme?
Cowboys, of course.

The story of Josiah . . .
It was a Tuesday, April 9, 2002, when I began to feel regular contractions.
I was a warm day, a gorgeous day, and I had been vacuuming when I doubled over and thought, excitedly, "I think this is it!!"
I wasn't sure, because I didn't really feel contractions with Isaac. My water broke with him and it was too early for him to arrive. His birth was a completely different experience from what was about to happen.
My doctor and the hospital I was going to use for Josiah's birth was a 45 minute drive, so I called my doc and asked if I could come in and get checked. He agreed it would be a good thing to do.
I was three weeks early, but Isaac had been 61/2 weeks premature, and I knew early delivery was a possibility for me.
Joe and I took Isaac to grandma and grandpa's and went to the doctor's office.
When I got there, the news was stunning. I was dilated to a 5 and 80% effaced.
The decision was made to admit me and get the ball rolling, so to speak.
Joe and I went over to the hospital, got admitted and I was taken to a delivery room where they broke my water.
Jen Forbes, Patty and Emily were all in the room with us while I labored, but only for about 10 minutes.
At my first strong contraction, Jen began to cry, and the girls were led to the waiting area. Josiah was on his way.
The anaesthesiologist was called and I was given an epidural.
Joe and I laughed and talked and held hands, waiting to see our new little son. It was exciting, and relaxing.
Then, the nurse said, "I'll get the doctor. You are ready to push."
The doctor came in and three pushes later, there was Josiah, so beautiful and wailing his head off.
It was 4:20 in the afternoon when he arrived.
I always say having Josiah is the easiest thing I have ever done, and it is true.
I was allowed to hold him for a while, but he was so upset at being out in the cold, harsh world, and he was taken to the nursery to get washed up and tended to.
Joe went with him, overseeing his care.
After a time, Joe returned and said they were going to keep Josiah in the NICU for observation because it looked like his nostrils were flaring and they wanted to make sure he could breathe.
This was scary for me because Isaac was in the NICU for 2 1/2 weeks while his lungs developed and he could breathe on his own. It was a terrifying time for Joe and I and I did not want to relive any of it.
Finally, at 10 p.m., they wheeled Josiah into the room in his little bassinet, and he was snuggled warm in his blankets, sleeping peacefully.
I've done this three times now, and each time I was handed one of my sons for the first time, a sense of overwhelming joy and awe came over me, and I cried and laughed and just stared at him for the longest time.
There were a faithful few there, waiting it out to see Josiah. Micah and Patty and Jen and Emily. They were some of the first people to meet him and hold him.
And that is the story of how Josiah came to be a part of our family.
To me, Josiah is a quiet storm, generally laid back, but with passion that resides deep in his soul. He is tender and gentle and full of compassion. He is a very selfless kid. He is a helper. He is brave. He is a little lion cub.
Well, maybe not so little anymore. . .

8 comments:

Patti said...

i can't believe how big all of the boys are getting - i still remember all the crazy goings on in the waiting room that fateful tuesday

6!! where has the time gone?

Micah & Sarah said...

That was a great story! I cried (as I usually do when I read your blog:) ~Sarah

Micah & Sarah said...

PS - thanks for the wonderful comment you left on our blog, I think I needed the reassurance. Your words meant a lot to me. ~Sarah

Shelden said...

Thats such a great story!!!!!!!! Isaac was born really early! Lota of love,
-Sheleden

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

AWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!! I love stories!

D3 said...

you got it all right except you forgot the chew and cow pies!!

Unknown said...

....and no one told Amy she was just sitting home at the Noga's wondering where everyone was.... :)

Kerri said...

How precious is he! Amazing choice of words Joy. You never seize to amaze me.

Happy Birthday Josiah!