Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Flying by

In case you haven't guessed from the recent lack of posting, it has been quite hectic here the past few days.
We are pretty "birthday-ed" out at this point, though Jo's "kid" party on Saturday was a lot of fun for him and for me.

Mom helped out with the games and decorations, drawing a pretty good rendering of a heifer for a game we called "brand the heifer on the hinder." Kind of like pin the tail.
It was a cowboy themed party, and guests were given cowboy hats, bandannas and sheriff badges when they arrived.
Daniel played the part of the Indian.

They also had to "guess how many cowboys and Indians are in the mug?" when they came in the door.
We started off with some cowboy grub: franks and beans and chips and watermelon.

After lunch, it was time for the games.
Mom rounded the kids up, and first they had a scavenger hunt. We had hidden cowboys, Indians and horses all over the house and the kids broke into two groups (the outlaws and the posse) and went a-hunting.
The team with the most acquisitions at the end won.
There was "snake bite", like hot potato, but with a rubber snake. Whoever was left with it in their hands when the music stopped "got bit" and "died" in a heap on the floor. I think "dying" was more fun than winning in this one, (except for those few boys who just hate to lose).
"There's a snake in my boot" was a game in which the boys had to stand behind a line and toss small toy snakes into a pair of cowboy boots.
And there was a horseshoe toss. The kids got two tries to get the horseshoe into a hat.
Last was the "brand the heifer" game.

It was pretty cold on Saturday, so all the games were indoors, which was not what we were planning on, but it worked well.
After games, Jo opened gifts, and then we had cakes in a jar and root beer floats in cowboy boot shaped mugs.
It was tiring and a lot of work, but so worth it to see Josiah all lit up with excitement. We have never done a big party like that for him, so it was about time.
We also got the key to our new house on Saturday, so Mom, the boys and I took a ride out there in the dusky evening and let ourselves in and looked around without a realtor.
We just sat on the floor and let the kids run all around the empty space.
It is so peaceful there, and whenever I am there, I love it more and more.
Sunday was a beautiful day.
Daniel seems to be taking to the pasta tradition with relish! (Not pasta with relish. That would be gross!)

Had friends over and went to look at the new house with them after dinner.
After that it was home to homework and baths and family time.
Yesterday, we started ripping carpet out and peeling wallpaper off at the new house. My deepest thanks to our good friend Mike, who is there helping, and is walking us through the process of picking out flooring, etc.
There is quite a bit of work to do there, more than we expected, I think, which is usually the case; but when it is done, it will be wonderful, and it will be our space with our touches.
Meanwhile, I still have much packing to do.
Life seems to be flying by, at this point. This is not something I like, particularly when I think that soon, Isaac will be 10, Josiah is 6 and Daniel is just two months shy of his first birthday!!
The other day, I was sort of grumbling as I toured the house, picking up toys, stepping on legos, peeling half chewed Cherrios from the carpet.
"I hate this mess! There are toys everywhere in here!"
Joe was working at the computer and looked up at me.
I sighed.
"I know, I know," I said.
"One day, I will be wishing I was picking up toys . . ."
"You will," he said.
We are probably right.

4 comments:

Shelden said...

I still can't believe Daniel is going to be one!!!!!! That party sounded pretty fun. I wish I could have been their to see his face. Lots of love,


-Shelden

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

Sounds like you did a great job on that party for Josiah! I was at the Loterer's house when Ben came home. He came in with his cowboy hat on. He said that he loved it. I wish that your boys would not get older! They seem like they are at their perfect age! It is going to be so hard when I have children to let them get older!

Michelle said...

Sammy said it was the funnest birthday party that he had ever been to! Thanks for inviting him.

Shelden said...

That party sounded really fun. Danial looked so cute i wish i was an indian. I love you joy. Love Molly'