Thursday, November 5, 2009

Just talkin' bout the weather


After a frosty night, we had temps in the 70's today.
It was so warm, I wanted to stretch right out in the sun, like our cats, and catch the rays and some zzzzzs.
On days like this, I feel a twinge of nostalgia for the warm summer days so recently past, long days that stretch into hazy twilight long after the children are asleep.
I miss the light.
Today I thought the trees must be happy for the warmth.
Most of the leaves have blown off the trees by now, so they stand naked and exposed against the ever changing sky, their fiery rainment lay all around them on the ground, as though they are ladies who just stepped out of their fine red dresses, or yellow or orange, for that matter, and their discarded clothes lay crumpled at their feet.
I love trees.
They are so beautiful and strong and full of promise.
They are always being born and dying to be reborn again.
They know how to hold on and when to let go.
They shelter and shade and feed.
They are perfect for tire swings.
They help us remember there are things that are bigger than us.
They help us remember there were things here before we were, and there will be things here long after we are gone.
And one tree held a man who made a way for us to know life everlasting.
And because of Him, I am free.
And so, there may be darkness for a while, and the trees may be bare, but a great light shines in the darkness, and He comes to bring new life where there was once wintry death.
The trees will live again.
And so will I.

6 comments:

Patti said...

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

Michelle said...

I concur.

Kris H. said...

"The trees will live again.
And so will I."

You know, it's crazy how much I'm relating to your posts this week.

Beautiful imagery in this one, Joy. I love it.

Joy said...

Thank you all. I am truly humbled by your comments.

Scott said...

I'm glad I'm a guy who is in touch with his emotions. Otherwise, I'd simply have to stop reading your posts because they make me cry too often. You are such an incredible writer, Joy.

Kerri said...

I would like to think like you for just one day. I'd be forever altered, in the best way.


I mean seriously, who writes like this: "Most of the leaves have blown off the trees by now, so they stand naked and exposed against the ever changing sky, their fiery rainment lay all around them on the ground, as though they are ladies who just stepped out of their fine red dresses, or yellow or orange, for that matter, and their discarded clothes lay crumpled at their feet."

YOU!