Thursday, October 22, 2009

Increase the peace

I've noticed that I blog in spurts.
I guess there are some times that are more conducive to blogging than others in my life.
Truth be known, I am shirking other priority responsibilities right now . . . like grading (grades are due tomorrow!! EEEKKK!), and writing a Christmas play (two, in fact), and getting ready for my next class (which starts in 10 minutes . . . did I mention grading?) in order to write this blog.
This is a funny way to begin this post, actually, because I'm thinking about . . . peace.
Peace.
It seems it is something I am always striving for.
If I can just get this done . . . or wait until that event has passed.
If I can hang in there until the next weekend, the next break, the next year . . .maybe I will finally be able to find peace. To rest.
But what I am coming to realize is that peace is not a thing to be gotten; it is a person to know.
Peace, a.k.a. Jesus Christ.
I have mistakenly been equating peace with a state of my being, when I should have been looking to the One Being who is peace.
Peace is not having nothing to do, although that can afford many "peaceful moments", I imagine.
It is having just as much to do as always, but carrying the load to Jesus and asking for His direction, His wisdom, His heart, His strength, His . . . peace to help you through it all, with grace.
It is about not letting your heart be troubled or afraid of what the next days, hours, moments hold, but trusting.
It is about letting go of you and holding on to Him.
It is about true rest, which isn't found in idleness, but in doing everything with purpose and joy to the glory of God.
For me, this happens best when I focus on Him.
Even in the midst of my busyness, when I sing a song, say a prayer, become aware of the divine in the common all around me, choose to take time to love, to play, to praise, to wonder, to connect, I know Peace.
I believe spiritual things are practical as well.
Practically, there are some things I do to help increase the peace in my life. I don't do all of them all of the time, but these are some of the things that help to center my focus on Jesus and others, and not on myself, which is the perfect formula for living with Peace:
I light candles.
I listen to worship music.
I take deep breaths.
I read a short verse, a poem, an inspirational thought . . . or a long one.
I pray.
I take time out from what is consuming me and I call a friend or family member, just because.
I think of all the things I have to be thankful for.
I sip a cup of coffee or herbal tea.
I tell my children I love them.
I talk a short walk.
I write.
I work in the garden.
I look out the window.
I go for a ride.
I think about the goodness of God, and remember all his mercies toward me . . . new every morning.
No matter which of these I choose, I make sure I invite He who is Peace to go with me, to be with me. I make sure I am aware of Him. I make sure we connect.
That makes all the difference!
What do you do to increase the peace, and meet with Him who is Peace, in your life? Your home? I'd love to know.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I turn on worship music. I also pray, remembering that if I (or anyone else in the family) am frustrated, I am giving myself permission to be. All anger/bitterness/etc are choices that I allow.

Joy N. said...

Very good points, Michelle! Thanks for commenting!!