Thursday, September 18, 2008

Find me in these fields


Out in the Fields with God

by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

The little cares that fretted me
I lost them yesterday
Among the fields, above the sea,
Among the winds at play,
Among the lowing of the herds,
The rustling of the trees,
Among the singing of the birds,
The humming of the bees.

The foolish fears of what might happen,
I cast them all away,
Among the clover-scented grass,
Among the new-mown hay,
Among the husking of the corn,
Where drowsy poppies nod,
Where ill thoughts die and good are born--
Out in the fields with God.


This is one of my favorite poems.
I had to memorize it in ninth grade, punctuation and all (Thank you, Mr. Pastori).
Imagine my delight when I learned that Josiah will learn it this year in first grade!!
It talks about cares and fears, and how they are lost or thrown away when we spend time with God, when we meet him in the fields, His "turff", and see his bounty, smell the sweetness of his provision, hear the buzzing of bees and the calling of the birds, of whom none fall without His seeing, His knowing.
Even in the tinniest details of His creation, God is so much bigger than we are -- so full of gifts for us, abounding in love and plentiful in his mercies.
Cares and fears, begone!
My God is big and full and generous.
There are things I have faced lately that have obscured this view of God, that have made him small in my eyes, that have made me forget.
I was driving on a quiet road yesterday, and I passed this field (pictured above).
I pulled over to the side, rolled all my windows down and sat there, listening to the crickets playing their last symphonies, watching the sun hit the waving grasses, smelling the sweet smell of the earth and the hay from a few farms over.
I wanted to get out and stand in the middle of that field, to lift my head and raise my arms.
To lose my cares and fears and to remember . . .
Remember who God is, what He has done and how He provides for us . . . for me.
I sat for a long time.
Daniel was dozing in his car-seat.
I prayed.
Thank you, God, for finding me in these fields, these places where I live, everyday. For providing. For loving. For carrying cares and fears. For bringing peace and joy. Thank you!

5 comments:

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

I love that poem!!!!!!!

Micah & Sarah said...

Thank you for this lovely poem. It carries a timely message for us. It is difficult to avoid ill thoughts completely, but in God's presence, they are banished.

Kerri said...

You certainly have a way with words Joy Noga. I mean seriously, this line is phenominal:

"I pulled over to the side, rolled all my windows down and sat there, listening to the crickets playing their last symphonies, watching the sun hit the waving grasses, smelling the sweet smell of the earth and the hay from a few farms over."

You inspire me.

Patti said...

ok...this post was great....but three weeks ago i was promised a blog about the pumpkin patch. you've had days and days of being home with sick boys......where is my pumpkin patch blog?

Micah & Sarah said...

Have I mentioned yet that I miss hearing from you? We love to read your blog. Hope everything is all right with you. Love, Sarah