Thursday, June 11, 2009

Two years ago today . . .

Daniel was born.
Born in a storm, carried in on the wind.
And boy, don't we know it.
Daniel is a spit-fire, full of life and a perpetual curiosity that fuels his constant motion.
Two years. Where has the time gone?
Life -- it seems to fly by so fast. I can barely find time to sit and write about our days because they are so full, and I am so worn out by the end of them, writing about them seems an insurmountable task. . . .thus my regrettable long silence here.
Two years of laughter, and wonder and love and I'm-gonna-pull-my-hair-out-by-its-roots moments.
Two years of blue eyes, blond curls, tiny fingers searching out my face, feet pattering and pittering all (and I do mean ALL) around the house.
His sweet voice ringing in our ears, his smile lighting up the corners of our souls, his kisses like the breath of God on our faces.
We sang birthday songs all day. Daniel danced in the living room and played outside and generally had no idea that two years ago today, he was breathing in his first breaths of air in this big, wide, new world.
It was just a day to him, although I think he began to understand when he was opening gifts and blowing out candles and eating his chocolate cupcake with sprinkles, surrounded by mom and dad and brothers and Gramp and MeMe and Patty and David and Aunt Li, that it was indeed a special kind of a day.


We showered him with lots of kisses. We taught him how to hold up two fingers to say he is two years old. We ohhhed and ahhhed and squealed when he opened gifts or sang or did just about anything.
Two years. Where does the time go?
I feel like I will blink and two more will be gone, behind me, over. Each day slides into the next and I wish more than anything that I could . . . catch them somehow. Keep them in a bag to pull out later, for remembering.
But when a day is gone, it is.
Our memories, however, are a gift of God's mercy on us, who are never able to get a day back again, but can revisit it in our memories a thousand upon a thousand times.
Like I can remember the stormy night my beautiful third son was born.
Like I will remember this day.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Awww...it brings sweet tears to my eyes. Congrats, Daniel! Love you, Joy!

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DANIEL!!!!I can't believe that he is already two! your writing was oh, so beautiful!

Patti said...

That was a great blog. Danny Boy is too, too precious. Great pictures.

Shelden said...

ditto to Abigail. One of the pictures is whenever he put on my sunglasses and was listening to Abigail's mp3 player. He is so cute!