Tuesday, December 8, 2009

News that warms my heart on a cold and rainy day . . .

Today, on the way to school, I was listening to a local radio station that plays all Christmas music all the time during this season.
"The Christmas Song," by Nat King Cole was on.
I love that song.
It's so mellow.
So smooth.
It conjures up all kinds of warm feelings in my heart.
After the song was over, the DJ broke in with an entertaining news brief.
She was talking about an international poll that was recently taken, ranking the most popular Christmas songs.
She rambled on about the sixth, fifth and fourth place songs.
I wasn't paying that much attention, so I can't remember very well what these were, but I do know they were all popular Christmas songs, like "It's beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas" and "Jingle Bells". Nothing very religious.
"The Christmas Song" was number three out of a top ten list voted on by an international pool of people.
Number two was "White Christmas."
And then the DJ said . . ."and the number one Christmas song voted on by people all over the world is, and I have to agree with this one . . . "O' Holy Night", with 59% of the vote. . ."
I was floored.
In a world that is increasingly trying to push Christ out of Christmas by changing from "Merry Christmas" to "Season's Greetings" and "Happy Holidays", and suing towns who display a Nativity scene on public property (I grew up in a town where this actually happened), and by making the season about the gifts and food and lights, and not the Giver of every good gift, the Bread of Life and the Light of the World, this was a shocking announcement.
And I thought, "Yeah, He's still got it!!"

5 comments:

Patti said...

One more for our side.
My favorite Christmas carols: O Come O Come Emmanuel & Carol of the Bells

Michelle said...

YES!!!!!!!!

Sarah said...

This is so great to read - and kind of funny, too, because everytime I hear that song lately(especially when sung by a completely secular artist) I find myself thinking, "Hmm, I wonder if they've even stopped for half a second and thought about what they're singing about."

Joy said...

It is funny that this is the no. 1 Christmas song, especially when it seems the majority of people singing it or listening to it have no evidence of the reality of the lyrics in their lives. I think it speaks to the fact that man, no matter how much he is not paying attention, knows, deep down in his soul, that he was created to "fall on your knees" to worship Christ. I think this song touches something innate in man, weather he is aware of it or not. And, I believe that one day, all those people who "love" this song will stop and think about what they are singing. God is faithful that way.
It's good to hear from you, and from all of you!!! Hope everyone is having a wonderful Christmas season!!!

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

Yeah He is!