Friday, February 29, 2008

Can life get any. . . life-ier?

Know what I did tonight?
I played poker with my nine year old.
Now, before you get all lathered up about what I'm teaching the boy, I'll have you know he was teaching me. I've never played poker in all my . . . well, many years.
He came home from school with this newfound knowledge earlier in the week. What?! I'm sure poker fits into a classical education somehow, right . . . No, actually his friend taught him.
What?! I have to worry about this now . . .
Although I am reticent about my child participating in such a "worldly" past-time, after a thorough moral lesson on the evils of gambling, we sat right down with a bowl of peanuts and pistachios between us and cut the deck.
It was so much fun.
I suspect we are not playing it entirely correctly, but oh well.
It was good to sit and relax and get my mind off of everything else that is going on, and to be able to spend time with my boys while doing it.
I've been a bit stressed today.
We signed the contract for our house, and barring any unforeseen circumstances, it is officially sold.
We also looked at some houses today, and we spent a lot of time at one in particular that we've had our eye on since we put our house on the market almost a year ago. It is not my "dream house"; I can be realistic about that. But I think it could be. It is a nice house, a light house, a peaceful, friendly, inviting house with lots of yard and land for the three boys to fight pirates and ride horses and conquer Rome, and whatever else it is boys do when they play outside in wide open spaces.
We looked at that house twice today. Once this morning, and once more this evening with the boys (who spent the entire time wrestling around in every room! They feel at home already.)
We were feeling good about the house and were prepared to make an offer in the morning.
After arriving home and ordering pizza for a Friday night treat, our realtor called and said, "You're not going to believe this but . . ."
Apparently, not more than five minutes after we pulled out of the driveway of that house, a couple called and said they were preparing to make an offer on that very same house, and would have made a verbal offer right then, but they were turned down on that because they do not have their financing secured yet.
My heart sunk into my toes, and my faith wavered ever so slightly.
After calling Joe frantically to explain the situation, and discussing it in brief, he called and put a bid in, but . . . we'll see.
It is all I can do to keep from biting all my nails off and crying my head off.
It's all so emotional, this house stuff.
Poker night is over and all the boys are sleeping soundly. I am not able to sleep just yet. There are so many things going through my mind. All the packing, all the toting, all the settling in again. And if we lose this house, what are we to do?
It is overwhelming.
I turn, as I always must, to scripture. I look for answers not in myself, but in Him who is "over all, and through all, and in all" (Eph. 4:6) and while reading Ps. 94, I come upon this: "When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul."
Console me, O God. Bring joy to my soul as only you can. It is in You, and not houses or lands that my peace and my joy is found. Help me not to forget that in this process.
If you read this, please pray with us that we will have peace and wisdom as we are in this process.

5 comments:

Micah & Sarah said...

We will definately pray for your situations. The houses, the contracts, the gambling. We would love to play poker with your 11 year old son someday.

Michelle said...

OH, man! I cannot believe that! (And it wasn't even Dennis! haha) I'll be praying. Keep us posted!

D3 said...

Poker is the bomb, jbells. Tell Isaac next time I see him we'll play Texas Hold 'Em. I'll bring my nickles. As to the house, what is meant, will be (so cliche', but you know what I mean.

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

That is crazy that somebody else put in an offer! I'm sure it is a very emmotional time for you. I don't think that playing poker with your son is a bad thing at all. It is great to see that Micah and Sarah found your blog! I am about to go and visit their blog.

Patti said...

poker-schmoker...it's all just cards

on to the house...i'm not saying, but i'm saying - all i'm saying is that maybe, just maybe you're supposed to find your "dream house" and not settle for something that could be - even if the boys aren't to conquer all of Rome in the backyard