Monday, July 6, 2009

These days . . .

There have been some problems with my Internet connection, which I hope will be worked out soon. It has made blogging regularly a bit of a problem, though.
But just because my Internet is slow and at times non-existent, it certainly does not mean my life is that way.
What has been going on . . . hmmm, let's see.
Joe and Isaac are at a Boy Scout camp-out this week. I miss them terribly, but have been having a good time with my little guys too.
Joe said they are doing a lot of cool things, and are having a bunch of fun! Isaac did say he was a little homesick, though. That made me feel good. It's nice to know that even out there, in the middle of his boy's dream of woods, water and wilderness, he's missing home . . . just a little. I'll sure be happy to have them back.
We picked the first blackberries from our bushes today. We got about 50 berries, and it looks like the haul this year will be good.
Some of the apples on our tree are just beginning to blush.
The garden is keeping me hopping too. Lots of squash (did I say lots already?), beans, peas, peppers, lettuce and cucumbers.
The corn is taller than . . . everybody, and is beginning to sprout ears. We have baby watermelon on the vines. The potatoes are getting ready to flower.
It's been a lot of work, but is has been so much fun, especially now that veggies that were hanging on vines, glistening in the morning dew are on our dinner table the same day. It is so comforting, in some small way, to know that we, through God's wisdom and provision, are nurturing ourselves with good things from nature.
There are a ton of things I am learning, and a thousand things I will do differently in next year's garden. Yes. I have already started thinking about next year's garden.
This evening, the moon was so big and low and yellow. I packed the kids in the car, and mom and I took them for a ride.
"Look at that moon!" I said, when the trees fell away and we had a good, clear view of it.
"It looks like gold! It is gold!" Josiah said.
Ahh, similes and metaphors. You gotta love 'em. And you gotta love 'em even more when your seven year old is using them to express his thoughts about the sensational summer moon.
He was clearly impressed.
I was too.
So, what has been going on these days?
Not too much, I guess. It's the good 'ol summertime.
These are those lazy, crazy, hazy days of summer.

2 comments:

Shelden said...

Josiah is so expressive!

Abigail Kreighbaum said...

The squash was AMAZING! Good job!!